Age is more than just a number; it's a testament to the wealth of experiences, knowledge, & wisdom you've accrued over the years. Being over 50 brings a new set of adventures, & to fully enjoy them, your body may benefit from some additional nutritional support. Here's a guide to the supplements you might consider…
Here are just a few reasons you may want to consider taking a multivitamin…
- Nutritional Insurance: Multivitamins can act as a safety net, providing a broad spectrum of essential vitamins & minerals. Despite efforts to maintain a balanced diet, it can be challenging to consistently meet all nutritional requirements through food alone. Multivitamins help fill potential gaps, ensuring that women receive a baseline of necessary nutrients for overall health.
- Lifestyle & Dietary Restrictions: Modern lifestyles, dietary preferences, & restrictions can sometimes limit access to specific nutrients. For example, vegetarian or vegan diets might lack certain vitamins found predominantly in animal products. Multivitamins can help bridge these nutritional gaps.
- Energy Levels & Immune Function: Multivitamins can provide targeted support for energy levels & immune function when they include the right ingredients at the right dosages. For example, vitamin C & B vitamins help fortify the immune system & enhance energy metabolism, aiding in better defense against illnesses & sustaining daily activities with increased vigor.
- Hormone & Mood Support: Multivitamins contain so many mood-boosters! B vitamins aid neurotransmitter function, impacting mood. Vitamin D affects hormone balance & mood, possibly boosting serotonin production. Omega-3s (EPA, DHA) in fish oil support brain health, helping regulate mood via anti-inflammatory properties. Magnesium promotes relaxation & stress management, potentially reducing stress & promoting a calmer mood through multivitamins.
**However, it's important to note that while multivitamins can be beneficial, they are not a substitute for a healthy diet. Whole foods provide a complex combination of nutrients, fiber, & other bioactive compounds that are difficult to replicate in a capsule. So stay intentional with your diet!
& now, here are a few ways our Wholesome Women’s Multi supports women:
- Folate: Aids DNA synthesis, red blood cells, & cognitive function.
- Vitamin C: Enhances skin health, immunity, & collagen production.
- Vitamin B12: Essential for energy metabolism & nerve health.
- Selenium: Acts as an antioxidant, supporting thyroid function.
- Magnesium: Supports relaxation, stress management, & muscle function.
- Vitamin A: Maintains vision, skin health, & immune function.
- Vitamin E: Protects cells from oxidative damage, promoting skin health.
- Other B Vitamins: Including B6 & B5, aid metabolism, energy, & hormone regulation.
- Biotin: Promotes healthy hair, skin, & nails.
- Choline: Supports brain health & liver function.
- Iodine: Essential for thyroid hormone production.
- Zinc: Supports immune system, skin health, & wound healing.
- Vitamin D: Supports bone health, immunity, & mood regulation.
There are 2 supplements we offer that may be a good addition to your supplement routine, but totally depend on your needs.
Iron - While it's not necessary for all women to take an iron supplement, there are specific situations where it can be beneficial. Women with heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding might require additional iron to prevent or address iron deficiency anemia. Also, women who follow plant-based diets might consider iron supplements to ensure they're meeting their iron needs, as the type of iron in plant foods is less easily absorbed than from animal sources.Benefits of Iron Supplements:
- Prevents Anemia: Iron is crucial for red blood cell production, & supplementing can help prevent or treat iron-deficiency anemia, which can cause fatigue & weakness.
- Improved Oxygen Transport: Adequate iron levels enhance the transport of oxygen throughout the body, ensuring cells receive the oxygen they need for optimal function.
- Energy Boost: Maintaining sufficient iron levels supports energy production & overall vitality by assisting in the formation of hemoglobin, a protein that carries oxygen in the blood.
Ginger & B6 - Taking a ginger & B6 supplement can offer benefits for managing certain conditions:
- Hormone Support: Ginger contains compounds with anti-inflammatory properties that might help modulate inflammation-related hormonal imbalances. Vitamin B6 is involved in the synthesis of neurotransmitters like serotonin & dopamine, which can influence mood & hormonal balance.
- Stress Reduction: Both ginger & B6 have been associated with stress reduction. By managing stress, these supplements might contribute to better hormonal equilibrium.
- Nausea Relief: Ginger & B6 have anti-nausea properties that can help alleviate symptoms of motion sickness, chemotherapy-induced nausea, & general queasiness.
- Menstrual Comfort: These supplements might ease menstrual discomfort by relaxing uterine muscles & reducing period-related nausea. Reduction of PMS symptoms have also been reported.
- Digestive Support: Ginger & B6 can aid digestion, potentially reducing feelings of nausea after meals or during travel.
& here’s the ONE SUPPLEMENT that is actually MOST IMPORTANT
Omega-3 Fatty Acids - Many doctors will say that if you can only take 1 supplement, THIS should be it! Omega-3 DHA is crucial for brain cell membranes, supporting cognitive function, memory, & mood regulation.
- Heart Health: DHA promotes cardiovascular wellness by reducing triglyceride levels, lowering blood pressure, & supporting overall heart function.
- Cognitive Support: DHA aids brain health, potentially improving cognitive abilities, memory retention, & mood stability.
- Cognitive Enhancement: DHA contributes to better brain health, enhancing cognitive functions & mood management.
- Cardiovascular Wellness: DHA's effects on triglycerides & blood pressure support heart health & function.
- Overall Well-being: Omega-3 DHA supplements offer advantages for brain & heart health, contributing to an improved sense of well-being.
I am not a huge “supplement” girl, but as I get older I have found that I rely on my supplements for a little boost of energy, an improvement for my mood, hormone help, & maybe even some hair & nail growth! Ha!
So, here's to the wise women of the world! With the right nourishment, your 50s & beyond can be some of the most radiant & vibrant years yet. Cheers to the golden era! 🌼📚🌞🌿